Heritage Impact Statements
Port Macquarie, NSW. Australia
Port Macquarie RSL Sub-branch
The war memorial was erected in 1921 at the intersection of Horton and Clarence Streets, Port Macquarie and relocated to the Town Green in 1969.
It had served the community well in the ensuing years, however, in recent times the location of the memorial had been deemed unsuitable due to the increase in attendances at commemorative services such as ANZAC Day.
Listed as a local heritage item the RSL Sub-branch wished to relocate the war memorial once again to another location within the new Town Square. The new location, only 20 metres from where it had originally been erected, was to be within a new purposely designed plaza that would cater for the increase in attendances, once again giving the memorial the prominence it deserved, ensuring its long term survival and enhancing its use which is considered to be the fundamental purpose of protecting the heritage item.